1. Choose a new focal point. Choose an interesting part of the room around which everything else will relate. Some good choices for focal points are: a fireplace, a picture window, a television wall unit, or a gorgeous painting. Once you've chosen your new focal point, arrange your furniture in a way that "worships" it. In other words, when you are in the room, your eyes should naturally go to this centerpiece because everything else in the room revolves around it.
2. Create conversation areas. To establish the most cozy atmosphere in your living room, arrange your seating in an L- or U-shape. This encourages conversation and creates a comfortable look. Place the coffee table 14- 16" in front of the seating, and make sure there are side tables close to all the seat arms.
3. Pull Furniture away from the walls. Update your room simply by moving the furniture to the center. This establishes a central area for gathering, and creates a more spacious feel.
4. Cluster your accessories. A big mistake homeowners make is spreading small accessories around the room. To create a more modern look, group accessories together on shelves or tables, or hang several of your smaller artwork together on one wall. This will make a more powerful statement in the room.
5. Switch rugs or pillows. An easy way to get a whole new look in your living room is to "borrow" accessories from other rooms. Try the area rug from the bedroom, or pillows from the den. You may be surprised at how many great things you have around the house that will give your living room the fabulous design you've been looking for.
Your new, gorgeous living room may be hiding right under your nose. And the best part is that you don't have to buy a thing. With just a few, easy tweaks, you can have a new room by this weekend!